Alaska Ferry System Vacation
This review is designed to make it a little easier to take your family on a Alaska Ferry System Vacation. And sure you could hop a mega cruise liner for your journey up and down the coast but that c would mean you miss out on a lot of the detail and would not get the closest views of the spectacular natural formations which line this route.
Learn More about the Highway System
Alaska Marine Highway Routes
There are a few options available on the ferry system. While some folk are looking to travel from Seattle Washington to to the upper parts of Alaska, others only want to see a portion or the journey like the inside passage.
Here are a few of the other options available: See Schedules Here
- Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve and the Beardslee Islands. This is where you take the ferry from Juneau to Gustavus. - Learn More
- Gulf of Alaska through the Interior passage and Prince William Sound including Childs Glacier and Cordova over four days. Learn More
- 12 Day Inside Passage Cruise: Bellingham to Sitka. Learn More
This next video takes in the ports of Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, and Sitka and perhaps an occasional humpback whales or orca.
The tour along the Alaska Marine Highway in this second video has spectacular views of glaciers with visits Juneau, Haines and Skagway.
Accommodation on the Ferry
Cabins and Tents on the Alaska Marine Highway
Here are some personal accounts from travelers who have tried this option first hand. The ferry goes to more than 30 locations between Alaska with a weekly service to Bellingham Washington. On Fridays at the Bellingham Cruise Terminal the ferry arrives and departs and can carry your car and about 500 other passengers. While there are cabins camping on the deck is also popular in Summer.
Anchorage to Skagway on the Inside passage
Here is one travelers cruise down Alaska's famous Inside Passage on the Alaska Marine Highway.
Bring your Kayak
There is also an adventure by sea kayak service. There is a service that allows you to bring your own kayak from about $15 per segment or rent them . With 3,500 miles of waterways to enjoy this is a good option.
alaska ferry from bellingham
Taking an Alaskan ferry from Bellingham is sometimes called the poor mans cruise ship. While the journey may cost a lot less it certainly is a rich experience.
Alaska Marine Highway From Skagway To Bellingham Washington
This is a video of a traveller who rode on the Malaspina Car Ferry from Skagway, Alaska to Bellingham, Washington.
The video below will help you see how to find the top family friendly accommodation options anywhere.
We recommend always to check reviews on TripAdvisor (use this link) before booking any travel deals.
- Accorhotels - 50% off the second room for kids.
- All Inclusive- The top family all inclusive discounts
- Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas - Save up to 40%
- Beaches Luxury Family Resorts- 65% off, free scuba and more.
- CheapAir.com - Cheap Airfares
- Cheap Caribbean - Great family packaged deals by this network are available all over the Caribbean. Including up to 65% off.
- Cruisedirect - Up to 80% OFF. .
- Expedia - Discounted Family Vacation packages and last minute deals.
- First Choice - Amazing all inclusive family holiday specialist in Europe.
- FlipKey - Family Vacation Rentals in 1200 locations
- Intrepid Family Adventure - Find Family adventures with 1600 itineraries.
- G Family Adventures -Big clearance on last minute family itineraries worldwide.
- Holiday Inn - Kids Stay and Eat for Free
- HomeExchange - We are into the sharing economy in a big way and this site makes it easy.
- HomeForExchange - Another great family home exchange with 13,000 listings in 80+ countries
- Motel 6 - Pet-Friendly and budget offers. With kids stay free and rooms from $39 road trips are now affordable.
- Priceline - Save with bidding and Package Offers of up to $500 off
- TripAdvisor - Allows you to search by family friendly option. Go to place to read reviews. Also one of the best places to find vacation rentals.